Friday, January 8, 2010

A Look Back at the Year of the Ox


According to the Chinese Zodiac, 2009 was the year of the Ox (or Buffalo). Here is what I found out about an Ox year...
We will feel the yoke of responsibility coming down on us this year. No success can be achieved without conscientious efforts. The trials and tribulations the Ox year brings will be mainly on the home front. It is a good time to settle domestic affairs and put your house in order.

This year will no doubt bear fruit, but the motto is: "No work, no pay!" Time waits for no man; if we are too lazy to sow then we can blame no one if we have nothing to reap. We will find a great many things requiring our attention, and the list of what needs to be done will seem endless. The Spartan influence of the Ox will be a constantly cracking whip over our heads. Better to apply oneself diligently than waste time arguing with the authorities. They will prevail, as the year of the Ox favors discipline.

Most conflicts this year will arise more from a lack of communication and refusal to give in on small technicalities than anything else. But hang on and be patient. Everything will be sorted out and we will be rewarded for our efforts.
So let's just take a closer look at my Ox Year...here is a month by month listing of events, milestones, and various and sundry "stuff":

January
  • Vertical Tasting - My very first vertical, Breaux's Cabernet, and I am sure it will not be the last. What's not to love...excellent wine, great company, and...my goodness...there is a lot of wine to taste.
  • The Darkest Day - My spirit was broken and my heart was shattered, but something inside of me was freed...this is when I started to really write poetry again.
February
  • The Dark Continent - Headed to Africa for an incredible safari, my birthday on Mt Kilimanjaro, and beach time on Zanzibar...not to mention the massages, tarot readings, and fire ceremony. Shared a room with someone who started out as a complete stranger (no, that isn't commentary on how odd they were) and ended up as an awesome friend.
  • Miami Bound - Headed south for warm weather and a workshop on an energy system that was new to me. Made it about half way through before I realized I needed to flee or risk becoming part of a cult.
March
  • Opportunity Knocks - Yes, after a glorious year and a half without a job...I mean, seriously, does anyone else do unemployed as well as I do...I was made an offer I couldn't refuse and rejoined the work force. Good grief! I hate being a productive member of society.
  • The End of a Career - When the aforementioned job started, I had to say goodye to my career as a massage therapist before it even began. Not to worry though, my hands are still magic and are available on a pro bono basis.
April
  • The Enneagram - I discovered this amazing system of the nine basic personality types of human nature and their complex interrelationships. I learned a lot about myself and my patterns. I'm a Type 9...The Easygoing, Self-Effacing Type: Receptive, Reassuring, Agreeable, and Complacent...no, really...I am.
  • American Odyssey Relay - Participated in a twelve person relay race from Gettysburg, PA to Washington, DC. Lessons learned: don't try running after wolfing down a quarter pounder with cheese and fries, don't try to sustain a 7 minute mile pace while running uphill, don't miss a turn in the darkness of the overnight runs, never forget to bring along a sleeping bag, and...200 mile relay runs are an incredible amount of fun, especially when you are running with awesome people.
May
  • Healing Touch - Had my first experience with this energy healing that would later have a huge impact on my life. It brought about very subtle but amazing changes in my body, mind, and spirit...thanks Stacy!
  • Road Trip to Denver - Made a cross country road trip with a good friend. It was basically a non-stop blur, except for a brief stop in St Louis. Highlights of the trip were the City Museum (an eclectic mixture of children's playground, funhouse, surrealistic pavilion, and architectural marvel made out of unique, found objects), Pappy's Smokehouse (mmm...the Big Ben), and Nederland (otherwise known as Hippieville).
  • Erin Go Bragh - Took my first real trip to Europe and went to Dublin for two weeks of "training" for work. Hung out at the Hairy Lemon pub, saw the Book of Kells (even more amazing in person!), and visited the Guiness Storehouse...I have said it before and I'll say it again...the Guiness is so much better over there.
June
  • Beach Wedding - Headed to Florida to see my niece married on Pensacola Beach. What could be better than nuptials amongst the sand and surf? Attending with one of my very best friends, that's what.
  • Healing Touch Class - I so enjoyed my Healing Touch sessions, I decided to learn how to be a practitioner. What an amazing, energy-filled, healing weekend!
July
  • End of an Era - After a very long battle, my mother succombed to breast cancer. While this saddens me greatly, I was able to ease her pain with some Healing Touch and so shared a moment with her that I will remember for ever.
August
  • Sailing Takes Me Away - Helped my friend sail his boat from Shoansy in Deltaville, VA back to Washington Marina in DC. With our brave and sure skipper and our amazing motley crew, we managed to survive the stairs of doom, the Shoansy bear, the vagaries of the wind, and, worst of all, Dragon Joose.
  • My New Roommate - An old friend of mine, Keone, came to live with me. Unlike other women, she and I don't fight over the bathroom...but she does lose more hair than most.
September
  • Jimmy Buffett - Discovered the secret to really enjoying this concert...keep tailgating! Cheaper drinks, comfortable seats, music at a tolerable level, and, best of all, took only two minutes to get out of the parking lot. Nothing says Buffett like gallon jugs of tequila and kitty litter toilets.
  • U2 - Got club level seats from work for the 360° tour. One of the most amazing shows I have ever seen on a stage that holds the world record for the largest concert structure. One valuable lesson learned...if it is cold outside and the drinks are on the bus, stay on the bus.
October
  • Swine Flu - Had a little visit from H1N1. Got me out of a week of work, but I would hardly say it was worth it.
  • Marine Corps Marathon - Did not have a great race as I had muscle spasms around mile 21 and had to walk quite a bit. On the plus side, I raised money for St Judes...and started the great Chuck Norris debate.
November
  • 5k Mania - Ran three 5k's the week of Thanksgiving, with two of them being on the same day. Managed to do very well, posting sub sevens in two and just slightly higher in the other...however, I did end up with a bit of an injury.
  • Orphan's Thanksgiving - Joined some friends who were not going to spend Thanksgiving with family for a potluck dinner. Had a fanshmabulous time and one of the best Thanksgivings ever.
December
  • Vegas, Baby - Went with a group of friends to Las Vegas to run the Rock n' Roll Half Marathon. Had a great time at the race, visited the grand Canyon in a helicopter, saw Cirque du Soleil's O, and, best of all, played UFO Stomper (think Guitar Hero for the feet).
  • O, Canada! - Took off for the great white north to visit a friend and see the sights of Toronto. Visited the Hockey Hall of Fame (saw the Stanley Cup), went to the top of the CN Tower (the world's highest observation deck), got to wander and wonder around the shores of Lake Ontario, and finally got to see Niagara Falls. Resisted the urge to go over the falls and was able to smuggle back some Tim Horton goods.
  • Charlottesville Blizzard - Went to Charlottesville for the weekend to see a shaman and visit some wineries. Was amazed by the shaman but the wineries never happened due to the excessive amount of snow that came hurtling out of the sky. The weekend was not a total loss though...got snowed in at the best B&B with the best backgammon partner ever.
  • Christmas - Had the orphans over to my place for a Christmas brunch, mimosas, and gifts all around...not the least of which was sharing the pleasure of each other's company. This marked the first time I have ever had people over on Christmas and, while I can't speak for everyone, I thought it was marvelous fun.
  • New Year's Eve - I had the most wonderful New Year's Eve ever! You just can't go wrong with a tux, a bottle of Dom, and six of the loveliest ladies ever.
Hmm...trials and tribulations on the home front...no work, no pay!...the sowing and the reaping...a constantly cracking whip over my head...I see all of that in my year, and it made most of the year very unpleasant if not downright miserable. Thankfully, I was able to hang on and be patient (well, for the most part), everything seems to have sorted itself out, and I definitely feel that I was rewarded with how the year ended...although I don't think it was from my efforts.

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

What a great recap Clyde....amazing how mcuh you can fit into a year when you look back and reflect on it isn't it?
Here's hoping to a MUCH better year...for you and for me. :)